Ocean Plastics Educational Curriculum
Ocean Legacy has created a 10-part curriculum series from beginner to advanced levels which focus on teaching you about ocean plastic, how to change the world around you and how to make a difference in your community to end plastic pollution. Learn practical tools that have been developed over decades of experience by leading experts in this field. All of the lessons are free with registration or you may choose to donate any amount to continue supporting our educational efforts.
What Will You Learn?
Lessons 1-5 were designed for classroom learning best for ages 14 and up; to provide students, teachers, everyday people and volunteers with an introduction to the ocean plastics issue. In these first five lessons, you will learn:
- Plastics 101: What are plastics?
- What are microplastics?
- How do plastics make their way into the ocean?
- Why are ocean plastics a problem?
- What you can do to prevent, reduce and clean-up ocean plastics.
INTRODUCTION: THE OCEAN PLASTICS ISSUE 101 - 105
The Level 1 lessons are suitable for learners age 14+ and up! Lessons are currently available in 3 languages: English, French and Spanish. Each lesson takes about 90 min to complete.
Want to Learn More?
Want to learn more once you’ve finished Level 1? Take our advanced lesson material Level 2: Lessons 6-10. In these lessons you will learn:
- How ocean plastics are different than land-based plastics.
- How to build an ocean plastics recycling system.
- How to encourage behaviour changes that help prevent and clean-up ocean plastics.
- What policies are being used globally to prevent and clean-up ocean plastics.
- How to advocate for policy changes in your community.
ADVANCED LEARNING: TAKE ACTION ON OCEAN PLASTICS 206 - 210
The Level 2 lessons are suitable for learners age 14+ and up as well! Lessons are currently available in 3 languages: English, French and Spanish. Each lesson takes about 90 min to complete.